Microsoft Outlook – personal information manager and communication program providing a unified place to manage e-mail, calendars, contacts and other personal and team information. How to create folders in Outlook?
Creating a folder in Outlook
Folders allow you to organize emails, calendars, contacts and tasks in Outlook. To add a folder in the folder pane, do the following:
- In the left pane of the Mail, Contacts, Tasks or Calendar view, right-click where you want to add the folder, and then click New Folder.
- Note: In the Calendar view, the New Calendar command is displayed instead of the New Folder command.
- Enter a name for the folder in the Name field and press Enter.
Work with message folders in Outlook.com
If you want to organize your messages in Outlook.com, you can create new folders or rename them, move or delete existing folders. You can also configure rules to make Outlook.com automatically move messages to folders depending on specific conditions.
- If you don’t see the left folder pane, maximize the browser window or scroll left to display the folder list.
- The folder pane can be shown only when it is needed. Select the three line icon in the left bar to show or hide folders.
- Open the layout settings and select Hide reading pane and then Save. This will free up more screen space to show the folders.
By default, your account starts with these folders:
- The product Incoming messages go to your inbox, unless you have created an inbox rule to redirect them to another folder or they are identified as junk messages.
- Spam Messages with the features of junk e-mail are automatically transferred to this folder, which, however, were not blocked by the junk e-mail filter before reaching the mailbox. Learn more about marking emails as junk or blocking senders in Outlook.com.
- Drafts The Drafts folder automatically saves messages that were created as new messages or replies but that you cannot finish immediately. You can return to the message at a later time to continue editing it and then send it.
- Sent items By default, a copy of each sent message is placed in the Sent items folder.
- Deleted items Any deleted messages are moved to the Deleted items folder.
- Archives This is a good place to store messages you are working on, but it can be useful for later reference. Moving messages to the archive makes it easier to reduce clutter in your inbox.